Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Vacation to T-town

Daniel decided to take a Maymester class at the seminary (a class that is normally throughout an entire semester condensed into one week), so on Mother's day, Liam and I took a flight from Dallas to Birmingham to spend a few days with my parents in Tuscaloosa. It was Liam's first plane ride! He did fabulous! It was an early morning flight so we had to leave the apartment around 5:30am. I sat in the back seat and poked Liam to keep him awake so that he would sleep when we got to the airport. He wasn't very happy with me. When we got to the airport there was way to much going on so he wasn't a bit tired. Traveling with an infant is awesome because everyone lets you cut lines. We cut in front of about 50 people waiting to go through security.
Waiting to board the plane!
 We flew Southwest and they don't do assign seats. You get a umber and you get on the plane in that order. So you just grab whatever seat you want. I got to cut in front of 58 people for that too. I met a couple traveling with their 8 month old son and we decided to sit together. There weren't 3 seats together, so I sat next to a grandma and the mom of the 8 month old while her husband sat across the aisle. I nursed Liam during takeoff and he fell asleep, he woke up about 30 minutes before landing, and then I nursed him again during landing. No problems!

My friend Erika picked us up from the airport and we went to Panera for breakfast and then my dad picked us up at Panera.
 My friends Faith and Betsy came over that afternoon to meet Liam.
We had to bribe him with puffs to sit still long enough to get a picture.
And then my Mimmie came over for dinner that night. On Monday Liam and I went to my Mimmie's new home (which is in a different assisted-living facility) to visit and Liam crawled all over her bedroom and gave her so much joy. :) It was nice to see her smile and laugh a bit.
Sweetest picture ever.
 We went to visit my friend Ashley and her 2 little ones after that and then had lunch with my mom. Then the shopping began. Liam did great! He doesn't ride in a stroller too much these days, but he loved it. We went to Dirt Cheap and I bought a bunch of onesies to monogram and applique (I've started sewing in case you didn't know... more on that some other time). Liam fell asleep in Shoe Station so we laid him down in the stroller and found other stores to go look around in. I enjoyed Taco Casa for dinner. Yum yum yum.

On Tuesday, around lunchtime my best friend from college, Emily, and her little girl, Eden Grace, came over from Hattiesburg. We met at McCalister's, watched the kids interact, came back to my mom's and let the kids nap and play.

That evening other college friends came over from MS (Maeghan and Lana, and Lana's little boy, John Mark and we met up with a mentor from college (Wahnee) and wet to Kobe for Hibachi. I don't guess any of us thought about the fact that we had 3 little ones all 9-10 months and that they hadn't experienced anything like that. The first clang of a cooking utensil on the grill from the table next to us sent one of the kids wailing and the other two with frightened looks. Our cook was nice enough to not do the typical show and just cook our food. The kids enjoyed watching the other tables eventually, but they had to get used to the noise first. It turned out just fine in the end. :) We stood outside and took pictures with the babies and then came back to my parent's so the kids could go to sleep and we could talk some more. Yeah, right. The kids were wide awake until about 10:30pm. Emily and Eden grace stayed the night and the others went back to MS.
Hibachi with 9 month old babies - not one of our best ideas to start with, but it turned out just fine!
4 friends and their "babies"
These friendships all started thanks to the lady in the middle. :)
PJ party!

On Wednesday morning Emily and EG left after breakfast (and a frantic search for missing keys which were in a place that both Emily and I had already searched) and then Mom and I went shopping. That's what we do when we get together. Shop. Liam did great again, slept for about an hour and a half in the stroller. He's such a good kid. Liam played with some old toys of mine (the telephone - remember those?) He took quite a few steps around the living room. (one or two each time) Wednesday night, we walked over to a neighbor's house to go swimming. GiGi wanted to see how much of a fish Liam already is.
On Thursday before we left, mom's preschool had a luncheon at Cypress Inn. Liam and I joined them and we had a great time catching up with some of the ladies she works with. And of course, we enjoyed the food, too! :) Mom and Liam got to take a few pictures, but mom was already crying just thinking about us leaving in a few hours.
Liam enjoyed playing with the fish in the aquarium.
 We flew home Thursday evening. Liam did ok on the plane ride. He slept the entire way to the airport, therefore he wasn't sleepy on the plane. We sat next to two young women who were teachers so they understood. :) We ate puffs, yogurt bites, crackers, and everything else that I could find in my bag. He nursed during takeoff but wouldn't nurse during landing and he wouldn't take a bottle so we put some formula in a sippy cup and he sipped on that for a big. He mostly just ate during landing, but the pressure didn't seem to bother him. Daniel was very happy to see us! A week away from each other is long time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing!! I think Liam is just so cute!!!! It was great to see pics of your mom and Aunt Billy!!!

    ReplyDelete