Friday, August 20, 2010

One life at a time...

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference, it's impossible!” After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf.
Then, smiling at the man, he said…” I made a difference for that one.”
- from somewhere else, but reposted on The Journey Blog *see below*

Goodness, my heart is breaking right now. For the past 4 years now, it has been a huge desire in my heart to work/own an orphanage one day. Recently, my amazing friend Katie (who by the way was just diagnosed with Malaria - please pray for her!) has been to and from Africa twice this summer working with an orphanage in Ghana. Reading her stories and seeing her pictures just fill my heart with sorrow and joy at the same time. Hearing her stories, led me on a search for other stories of African orphanages and I have found two girls who have given up their lives in order to serve children in Unganda for our Lord. I've been catching up on their blog posts (I am starting from back in 2007) and my heart breaks. There is so much pain, suffering, hunger, and death in their stories. But amazingly, there are also stories of love, compassion, faith, healing, and joy. God is truly a loving Father, and I thank Him for sending these girls, as well as others, to Africa to share His love to an seemingly unloved people group. God is the God of hope and of healing. I just cannot truly put into words how much these stories have touched my heart and the emotions that overflow from my soul. My heart and soul yearn to share the love of our great and wonderful and powerful Father with these children who are fatherless and unloved by any human. But until then, my heart serves Him here, in Fort Worth, in my hospital, in my church, in my community. I pray that I do not become content with where I am, and I continually seek His face and show His love to all those around me. I cannot do it all, I am only one person. But with the Lord, hearts can be mended, physical ailments can be healed, love can be restored. One life can be saved. Be bold.

Serving His Children
The Journey
Katie's African Adventures

Also from The Journey by a girl named Katie (not the Katie with malaria, although I'm sure this girl has had malaria at one point or another in her life). This post was from November 2007, after being there since June of the same year. There are so many things I wish I could share from her blog, her stories, her children, her love, but this is just a small piece of a sister's heart. It's challenging.

"someone asked me the other day, "really? is it really as great as you make it sound?i could never do that! are you really happy?" for all of you who wonder, this is my response.
you know what i want sometimes? to go to the mall and spend a ridiculous amount of money on a cute new pair of shoes. i want to sit on my kitchen counter chatting with my girlfriends and eat a whole carton of cookie dough ice cream. i want to watch grey's anatomy, or any tv for that matter. i want to cuddle with my sweet boyfriend. i want to hop in my cute car, go to the grocery store, and pick up any kind of produce i want. i want to wake up in a house with my loving family, not all by myself. i want to go to blockbuster and pick out a movie to watch with my little brother and his friends and i want to cook for them at midnight. i want to spend mindless hours with my best friends talking about boys and fashion and school and life. i want to go to the gym. i want my hair to look nice. i want to wear cut off jean shorts. i want to be a normal teenager living in america. i do.
but. you know what i want more? ALL the time?
i want to be spiritually and emotionally filled every day of my life. i want to be loved and cuddled by100 children and never go a day without laughing. i want to wake up to a rooster, my two africa dogs, and a splendid view of the nile river. i want to be challenged endlessly; i want to be learning and growing every minute. i want to be taught by those i teach. i want to share God's love with people who otherwise might not know it. i want to work so hard that i end every day filthy and too tired to move. i want to feel needed, important, used by the Lord. i want to make a differnce and i want to follow the calling that God has planted deep in my heart. i want to give my life away, to serve the Lord with each breath, each second. i want to be here. right here. "

No comments:

Post a Comment